Content of e-mail regarding Apple's strategy that Jobs sent to executives one year ago passed away
Mr. Steve Jobs, who was also the founder of Apple and became a dragged resurrectionist who came back to the stagnant Apple, told Apple's strategy for 100 executives of Apple about a year ago to leave the world I sent the e-mails mentioned. Among them are keywords that predict the appearance of Apple later, such as "post PC era" or "holy war with Google".
The Steve Jobs email that outlined Apple's strategy a year before his death - Quartz
This mail was sent on October 25, 2010, and it was addressed to participants in the meeting where the important person in the company "Top 100" involved in corporate strategy gathered inside Apple. In the mail, keywords related to the strategy of Apple at the time are listed, and the name of the person in charge is appended to each.
The content of the mail is from the following. In the lead part of the export, it says "Here's my current cut. (This is the latest agenda manuscript)".
From: Steve Jobs
Date: October 24, 2010 6:12:41 PM PDT
Subject: Top 100 - A
Here's my current cut.
In the text that follows, the topics of the Top 100 meeting are listed. It talks about 'Holy War with Google' mentioned at the beginning, followed by 'Post PC era', and the new campus being newly constructed (new head office).
1. 2011 Strategy - SJ
- who are we?
- headcount, average age, ...
- VP count, senior promotions in last year
- percent new membership at this meeting
- what do we do?
- pie chart of units / product line and revenues / product line
- same charts with tablets + phones merged together
- Post PC era - Apple is the first company to get here
- Post PC products now 66% of our revenues
- iPad outsold Mac within 6 months
- Post PC era = more mobile (smaller, thinner, lighter) + communications + apps + cloud services
- 2011: Holy War with Google
- all the ways we will compete with them
- primary reason for this Top 100 meeting
- you will hear about what we are doing in each presentation
- 2011: Year of the Cloud
- we invented Digital Hub concept
- PC as hub for all your digital assets
- contacts, calendars, bookmarks, photos, music, videos
- digital hub (center of our universe) is moving from PC to cloud
- PC now just another client alongside iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, ...
- Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm too long (innovator's dilemma)
- Google and Microsoft are still on along the technology, but have not quite figured it out yet
- tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem
- 2015: new campus
About the strategy of 1.2011 - SJ (Steve Jobs)
· Who are we?
· Number of employees, average age, other
· Number of Vice Presidents, Personnel situation of last year
· Percentage of new participants in this meeting
· What to do from now
· Number of models by model and sales graph by product line
· The tablet plus the telephone in the same graph
· Post PC era: Apple will first enter that era
· Post PC products are showing 66% of sales
· IPad has exceeded sales of Mac for 6 months
· Post PC era = increase in mobile terminals (smaller, thinner, lighter) + communication + application + cloud service
· Holy war with Google in 2011
· All kinds of measures to fight against Google
· The fundamental meaning of this "Top 100" meeting
· About contents to be mentioned in each presentation
· 2011: year of cloud
· Apple invented the concept of "digital hub"
· PC as a hub of all digital assets
· Address book, calendar, bookmark, photo, music, video
· Digital hub (center of Apple's "universe") shifted from PC to cloud
· PC now becomes a client of iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
· Apple has a danger of clinging to an old paradigm for too long (inherent dilemma)
· Google and Microsoft have been involved in technology for a long time, but I still do not understand what the essence is
· Connect all Apple products and invite users to Apple's ecosystem to avoid missing out
· 2015: Completion of new campus
2. State of the Company
- Peter & amp; Tim
- FY 2010 recap
- FY2011 plan
- where is our business
- geo analysis (NA, Euro, Japan, Asia, possibly break out china) (present on map)
- key milestones, trends & amp; future goals
- comparisons with Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola & RIM
2. Company status
· From Peter (· Oppenheimer) and Tim (· Cook)
· Summary of FY2010
· Scheduled for 2011
· Places of our business
· Regional analysis (explosive development in North America, Europe, Japan, Asia, perhaps China) (shown on map)
· Key milestones, trends, future goal setting
· Comparison with Google, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, RIM
- Joz & amp; Bob
- 2011 Strategy:
- "plus" iPhone 4 with better antenna, processor, camera & amp; software to stay ahead of competitors until mid 2012
- have LTE version in mid-2012
- create low cost iPhone model based on iPod touch to replace 3GS
- Business & amp; competitive update
- show Droid and RIM ads
- Verizon iPhone
- schedule, marketing, ...
- iPhone 5 hardware
- H4 performance
- new antenna design, etc.
- new camera
- cost goal
- show model (and / or renderings)
· Joz (Greg Joswieak) and Bob (· Mans FieldFrom
· Strategies for 2011:
· Improve antenna, processor, camera, software to announce "Plus" type iPhone that exceeds competing products in mid 2012
· Devices equipped with LTE announced in mid 2012
· Development of low-priced iPhone based on iPod touch instead of 3GS
· Business situation and competitor's current status check
· Watch the promotion of Droid (Android?) And RIM
· Let iPhone appear from Verizon
· Schedule confirmation, marketing strategy etc.
About iPhone 5 hardware
· H4 performance
· Design of new type antenna, others
· New camera
· (Confidential matter)
· Target setting of expenses
· Show model (real and / or rendering)
· From Johnny (· Ive)
4. iPad - Bob, Jony, Dan Riccio, Michael Tchao, Randy Ubillos, Xander Soren, Roger Rosner
- 2011 Strategy: ship iPad 2 with amazing hardware and software before competitors even catch up with our current model
- Business & amp; competitive update - Michael
- Apps, corporate adoption, ...
- show Samsung, HP (?) Anf iPad ads
- 2011 Product Roadmap
- Bob, Dan & amp; Jony
- iPad 2
- new ID, H4, UMTS + Verizon in one model, cameras, ...
- EVT units & amp; case
- HDMI dongle (use for projection of demos below?)
- iPad 3
- display, H4T
- DEMOS: - PhotoBooth (Michael?)
- iMovie (Randy)
- GarageBand (Xander)
- text book authoring system (Roger)
- working display for iPad 3 (during break)
Four. IPad: Bob, Johnny,Dan Riccio,Michael Ciao, Randy · Ubilos, Zander · Soren, Roger · Rosner
· Strategy of 2011: to make "iPad 2" with amazing hardware and software appear before another company catches up with the first iPad
· Business situation and confirmation of competitors' current situation (from Michael)
· Applications, corporate advertisements, etc.
· Samsung, HP (?), Anf (wrong?), Compare ads on iPad
· Product roadmap for 2011
· From Bob, Dan, Johnny
· IPad 2
· New ID, H4, model with UMTS (communication method) and Verizon (Verizon supported model?), Camera, etc.
· UVT unit, case
· HDMI dongle (used for the demonstration below?)
· IPad 3
· Display, H4T
· Demonstration: PhotoBooth (from Michael?)
· IMovie (from Randy)
· GarageBand (from Zander)
· Textbook certification system (from Roger)
· Present the real display of iPad 3 (during a break)
5. iOS - Scott, Joz
- Strategy: catch up to Android where we are behind (notifications, tethering, speech, ...) and leapfrog them (Siri, ...)
- Timeline of iOS releases from first until Telluride, including Verizon
- Jasper tent poles
- Durango tent poles (without MobileMe)
- Telluride tent poles (with "catch up" and "leapfrog" notations on each one)
- Jasper: AirPlay to AppleTV - video from iPad, photos from iPhone, ??
- Durango: ?? (without MobileMe features)
- Telluride: Siri,?
Five. IOS: Scott (·Four stallIs it? ), Joz
· Strategy: Do catch-up at a part late for Android (notification function, tethering, speech reading), and greatly exceeding functions (such as Siri)
· IOS Timeline: From first edition to latest version, including Verizon supported version
· Jasper's tent poles (development goals?)
· Durango's tent poles (development goals?)
· Tulluride's tent pole (catch up with each, note to overtake)
· Jasper: Use AirPlay to send video to iPad, iPhone to send photos to Apple TV
· Durango:? Is it? (Without MobileMe function)
· Telluride: Siri?
6. MobileMe - Cue, SJ, Roger Rosner
- Strategy: catch up to Google cloud services and leapfrog them (Photo Stream, cloud storage)
- deeply integrates Google cloud services
- way ahead of Apple in cloud services for contacts, calendars, mail
- Apple's year of the cloud
- tie all of our products together
- make Apple ecosystem even more sticky
- Free MobileMe for iPhone 4, iPad and new iPod touch
- Jasper - Sign up with Apple ID, Find My iPhone
- Find My Friends, Calendar, Contacts, Bookmarks, Photo Stream
- iWork cloud storage
- cloud storage for third party apps
- iOS backup
- new iDisk for Mac
- projected growth, cost / user
- plan to scale to 100 million users
- transition plan for paid members
- what about email?
- Find My Friends
- Photo Stream
- iWork cloud storage (Roger Rosner)
6. MobileMe: Queue (Eddie Que?), Jobs, Roger Rosner
· Strategy: Overtake and overtake Google's cloud service (Photo stream, cloud storage)
· It is deeply integrated (integrated) with Google's cloud service
· For address book, calendar, mail function, we are moving far beyond Apple
· Apple's "year of cloud"
· Tie all of Apple's products
· Make Apple's ecosystem more attractive · Make it unavoidable
· Provide free MobileMe service to iPhone 4, iPad, and new iPod touch
· Jasper: Sign up with Apple ID, "Search for iPhone"
· "Find Friends", Calendar, Address Book, Bookmark, Photo Stream
· April (April)
· IWork cloud storage
· Cloud storage for third parties
· IOS backup
· New iDisk for Mac
· Product growth, cost aspect / user aspect
· Expanding to 100 million users
· Transfer service to paid members
· About email?
· "Find Friends"
· Photo stream
· Cloud storage of iWork (Roger · Rosner)
- David Moody, Bob, Craig Federigi, Randy Ubilos & amp;?
- Hardware roadmap
- Lion plan
- Mac App Store
- Final Cut Pro DEMO (Randy & amp;?)
· David Moody,Craig · Federigi, Randy · Ubilos, others?
· Hardware roadmap
· Plan for Lion (OS)
· App Store for Mac
· Demonstration of Final Cut Pro (Randy et al?)
8. Apple TV 2 - David Moody, Jeff Robbin
- Strategy: stay in the living room game and make a great "must have" accessory for iOS devices
- sales so far, projections for this holiday season
- add content: - NBC, CBS, Viacom, HBO, ...
- TV subscription?
- where do we go from here?
- apps, browser, magic wand?
8. Apple TV 2: David Moody, Jeff Robin
· Strategy: Leave it in the living room and make it "essential" accessories for games and iOS devices
· Sales results for the past, sales forecast for the holiday season
· Advertisement contents: NBC, CBS, Viacom, HBO etc.
· Subscription TV?
· Where are you going forward?
· App, Browser, "Magic Wand"?
9. Stores Update - Eddy, Patrice
- Strategy: Leap even further ahead of Google in music
- iTunes in the cloud
- App Store
- Strategy: Leap even further ahead of Google in discovering great new iOS apps
9. Software update: Eddie Cue, Patrice (?)
· Strategy: Music far outweighs Google
· Cloud version iTunes
· App Store
· Strategy: Superior new iOS app can be found Apps much better than Google App Store
10. iAds Update - Andy Miller
Ten. The latest situation of iAds: Andy Miller
11. Retail Update - Ron Johnson
11. Sales situation: Ron Johnson
Please note that this content has been revealed in a lawsuit filed by Apple against Samsung.
Apple Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. et al., C 11-1846 & amp; C 12-0630 | United States District Court, Northern District of California
in Note, Posted by darkhorse_log